Mendive. Revista de Educación, enero-marzo, 2022; 20(1):345-347
Especial Education in Cuban. Present-day conception and perspectives
Educación Especial en Cuba. Concepción actual y perspectivas
Educação Especial em Cuba. Concepção atual e perspectivas
Yosniel Estévez Arias1 https://orcid.org/0000-0002-7401-8559
1University of Pinar del Río "Hermanos Saíz Montes de Oca". Cuba. firstname.lastname@example.org
Triana Mederos, M and Fernández Silva, IF (2019). Special Education in Cuba. Current conception and perspectives.
Havana: Editorial People and Education.
The book Special Education in Cuba. Current conception and perspectives
offers a panoramic vision of Special Education in Cuba, in correspondence with the 2030 Agenda for
Sustainable Development and, in particular, with objective four aimed at guaranteeing inclusive,
equitable and quality education and promoting permanent learning opportunities for everyone.
His considerations are based on the massive, equitable character of the right to Education,
which Cuba advocates, with the active and democratic participation of the entire society in the tasks
of educating the people. The gratuity and accessibility of all Cuban citizens to education is
proverbial; issue that is in line with:
- The Constitution of the Republic of Cuba.
- ·The agreements, theses, resolutions and conferences of the congresses of the
Communist Party of Cuba (PCC).
- The VII Congress of the PCC and the Social Economic Guidelines 2016-2020 and
the National Plan for Economic and Social Development until 2030.
- National Plans for the care of people with disabilities (2006-2015).
- The United Nations Development Assistance Framework
- The normative documents of the improvement of the Special Education subsystem.
- The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development (2015).
- The National Action Plan for the Care of Children, Adolescents and their Families.
- Declaration of Salamanca (1994).
The central idea of the book is to offer the way of conceiving Special Education in Cuba, as
a consequence of 59 years of experimentation and continuous improvement of its
educational policy and practice and in correspondence with the systematization of the latest research
carried out on the subject in question. .
The text reveals the importance of the aforementioned Education, with its modalities and
specialized resources, aspects that are consistent with the psycho pedagogical diagnosis, the Special
Olympics program and the achievement of an inclusive, equitable and quality education.
Among its main features are:
- It is written in a pleasant and understandable language, in nine sections, including
family testimonies and bibliography. It has a total of 112 pages.
- The testimonies reflect the criteria of families with children who have a disability and
who have been treated in any of the Special Education institutions in Cuba.
- The bibliography is extensive; depending on the date of publication it is updated
and reflects the studies carried out by specialists on the subject, in the national and
- Part of a sketch on the regulations of the 2030 Agenda and the role of Special Education
in achieving inclusive Education, which allows proposing positions related to recursion
in educational care, psycho pedagogical diagnosis and the importance of the Special Olympics .
- Its content highlights the transversal nature of Special Education with respect to the
rest of the subsystems of the National Education System. In this way, the character of a
resource and support center for Special Education is accentuated.
- It emphasizes the nature of Intersectoriality, involving the participation of the
different sectors involved in the comprehensive care of students with special educational needs,
aspects that are consistent with networking.
- It highlights the preventive, corrective and compensatory work based on the
psycho pedagogical diagnosis of children, adolescents and young people with special
educational needs and the subjects and contexts in which it is developed.
- It achieves the unity of pedagogical theory and practice, encouraging readers to delve
into each topic and find solutions to real problems in different contexts.
The work has the following content index:
- 2030 Agenda and Special Education. Towards a more inclusive education.
- On the current conception of Special Education in Cuba. Starting positions.
- Special Education in Cuba, its modalities and specialized resources for educational attention.
- Educational inclusion in Cuba.
- Psycho pedagogical diagnosis and Special Education. Implications for quality
- Psycho pedagogical diagnosis and educational inclusion of children, adolescents and
young people with special educational needs.
- Special Olympics and Special Education. Complementary relations.
The contents of the book clearly reflect the position assumed by the Cuban educational system
in the face of the challenge of achieving inclusive and quality education, precisely defining
the Cuban position (optimistic, humanist, Martian and Fidelist) in education and development
of people with special educational needs.
The book constitutes a valuable reference material for teachers who are in charge of
professional pedagogical training in universities, for education professionals and for teachers in training. It
is also an updated reference on Cuban Special Education in the context of inclusive education.
This work is under a licencia de Creative Commons Reconocimiento-NoComercial 4.0 Internacional
Copyright (c) Yosniel Estévez Arias